One of the most important online content streaming services in the United Kingdom is BBC iPlayer.
BBC iPlayer is a video-on-demand service by the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) in the United Kingdom.
There is no commercial advertising on the services delivered to UK-based viewers. BBC iPlayer was released in 2007
Steaming has an extensive library of TV shows, movies, and television. There are many shows and movies on BBC iPlayer, such as Peaky Blinders Season 6, Doctor Foster, Waterloo Road, The Responder, and The Famous Dracula.
And this article is going to take you through how to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada without any stress.
How To Watch BBC iPlayer In Canada
You can watch BBC iPlayer even if you are outside the United Kingdom. All you need is a compatible device and a premium VPN tool that can give you access.
That VPN will unblock the restrictions, allowing you to gain access to the streaming service.
It does this by changing the location of your device to the United Kingdom.
In this way, the BBC iPlayer detectors will not know that you are steaming from outside of the United Kingdom.
Follow the steps below to start watching BBC iPlayer in Canada:
- First, download and set up a VPN tool on your device. We recommend PIA VPN, which is one of the best VPN tools to use to unblock a geo-restricted streaming service
- Sign in to the VPN app and connect it to the UK server. Wait to make sure that connection has been formed before proceeding
- Visit the BBC iPlayer website and create a free account. After creating the account, you can start streaming BBC iPlayer in Canada.
As you can see, gaining access to a restricted streaming service such as BBC iPlayer is pretty straightforward.
All you need is a VPN capable of unblocking the geo-restriction, and you are well on your way.
Best VPNs For Watching BBC iPlayer In Canada
Private Internnet Access
Standing out with unbeatable server options, Private Internet Access (PIA) takes the lead, offering servers across many UK regions, surpassing most VPNs.
Super fast, PIA averages 94 Mbps speeds, ensuring a smooth Channel 4 and Britbox experience without any lag or buffering.
A single PIA account lets you connect up to 10 devices simultaneously, great for multitaskers!
PIA also boasts advanced security features like 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch.
Their strict no-logs policy means even connection logs are avoided, keeping privacy-focused users in mind.
PIA offers apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV, along with easy-to-use browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
Boasting a vast server network, CyberGhost makes unblocking Channel 4 a breeze from pretty much anywhere.
Renowned for conquering geo-restrictions and packed with a great price-to-quality ratio, it’s no wonder CyberGhost is a user favorite.
Its WireGuard protocol guarantees fast connections with an average speed of 86% and minimum interruptions.
CyberGhost offers reliable video load times through consistent testing, living up to its reputation for dependability.
To keep your favorite streaming services just a few clicks away, CyberGhost provides dedicated servers specifically for streaming. Plus, their Smart DNS feature is perfect for devices without direct VPN support.
As our top pick, ExpressVPN has over 500 UK servers to help unblock Channel 4 in Canada and beyond.
Perfect for those who can’t stand buffering interruptions, ExpressVPN will keep your favorite Channel 4 shows running smoothly.
You won’t miss out on anything with access to All 4 streaming and other channels on popular devices like Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Firestick.
For those using devices like Roku, Apple TV, Smart TVs, PlayStation, or Xbox, ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer (Smart DNS) can be set up to let you watch Channel 4 in Canada, the USA, or anywhere else you may be.
Ways To Get BBC iPlayer In Canada On All Devices
You can get a BBC iPlayer account through the following steps. Let us look at the various ways through which you can get to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada.
Another way to get BBC iPlayer is by downloading the Beebs Google Chrome extension.
This extension allows you to access BBC iPlayer as it unblocks U.K. channels outside the country.
How To Watch BBC iPlayer On Apple Device
You can get BBC iPlayer on your Apple device by following the steps below
- Go to settings on your Apple device and tap on your profile
- Go to ‘media & purchases’ and head to ‘view account. You will need your Touch ID or your passcode to continue.
- Once you have been verified, locate ‘country/region’ and change it from Canada to the U.K. Proceed by agreeing to the ‘terms and conditions by clicking on ‘agree.’
- Now, fill out the form that appears next. For the U.K. address and postal code, search on Google, and you will find one to fill out in no time. It will work perfectly without any problems
- After the location change is complete, head over to the Apple app store download the BBC iPlayer app, and install it
- Now connect your VPN to the U.K. server open the BBC app, sign and start watching.
How To Watch BBC iPlayer On An Android Device
You can get BBC iPlayer on your Android device by following the steps below.
- Download a VPN tool and have it installed. Open it and set it up. Now connect it to the U.K. server and make sure that a good connection has been established
- Now, go to the Google Play Store and click on the 3-bar menu at the top of the screen
- Go to ‘account’ and change your country or region from Canada to the U.K.
- Now, restart the Google Play Store app and download the BBC iPlayer app. It will now be available to download after the country has been changed in the Play Store settings.
- After installing the BBC iPlayer app, sign in with your credentials. You can now start streaming BBC iPlayer on your Android device.
How To Sign In To BBC iPlayer In Canada
Signing in to BBC iPlayer is not a challenging task at all.
You can get a BBC iPlayer account through the following steps:
- Connect your VPN tool to the U.K. server and make sure that it has been able to form a good connection
- Now, head over to the BBC iPlayer website and click ‘sign in.’
- Now, click on ‘register now and fill in the spaces that appear by entering your birth date and continue
- You will then have to fill out the following form that appears with all the necessary details. When you complete filling them out, click ‘register.’ For the U.K. address and postal code. Just search on Google, and you will be able to find some that can be used without any problems
After the registration, you will have a BBC iPlayer account and can always use the credentials to sign in.
How Much Is the BBC iPlayer In Canada?
BBC iPlayer is a free streaming platform; everyone can watch it for free. There are no subscription fees to be paid, so once you can unblock it, you can watch everything in Canada for free.
Why Is BBC iPlayer Not In Canada?
BBC iPlayer is not available in Canada mainly due to issues with content rights.
Only UK residents can access BBC iPlayer, with all other nations barred from streaming it.
So with a top-of-the-line VPN tool, you can stream BBC iPlayer outside the United Kingdom.
The streaming service is also funded by the U.K. TV license, making it restricted to the United Kingdom only.
When Will BBC iPlayer Come To Canada?
BBC iPlayer has yet to give any hint that the streaming service will be made available in Canada any time soon due to the issues surrounding content.
We could see the BBC iPlayer launch in Canada. Until then, we must use VPNs to stream the service in Canada.
What To Watch On BBC iPlayer In Canada
There are many movies and shows that one can watch on BBC iPlayer. Some of these shows and movies are:
- Peaky Blinders
- Doctor Who
- The Split
- Gentleman Jack
- Planet Earth II
- Killing Eve
- Doctor Foster
- Blue Planet II
- The Responder
- Line of Duty
- The Nest
Channels To Watch On BBC iPlayer
You can watch the following channels on BBC iPlayer after you have signed in. Here they are.
- BBC One
- BBC Two
- Radio 1
- BBC Three
- BBC Scotland
- BBC Parliament
- BBC S4C
- BBC Four
BBC iPlayer Compatible Devices
BBC iPlayer can be streamed on several devices, making it easy to stream anywhere and anytime.
Below are some devices that can be used to stream BBC iPlayer in Canada:
- Desktop computer (both Windows and Mac)
- Android devices
- Smart TVs
- Amazon Fire Stick
- Apple devices
- Apple TV
- Playstation game console
- Xbox game console
- Google Chromecast
Frequently Asked Questions
The BBC iPlayer is not available in Canada at the moment. The only way to get it is by using a VPN to stream to the American server. Without a VPN, you will not be able to get access to the BBC iPlayer in Canada.
You can use a VPN in Canada, and no law is against it. People mainly use VPNs to protect themselves online so that no one or entity can snoop on them.
It is used to mask the user’s location, which is why it is the best tool for gaining access to geo-restricted streaming services in Canada.
However, using a VPN to stream BBC iPlayer is against the terms and conditions of the streaming service, although we have not heard anything about anyone getting sued for it, so you could go ahead and stream it. It is not like you are streaming it for free anyway.
You can watch The Responder in Canada on BBC iPlayer after downloading the app and signing in.
Make sure to have your VPN app on to make your location to the U.K. to gain access to the streaming service.
You can bypass the geo-restrictions placed on the BBC iPlayer and any other streaming service when you get a capable top-of-the-line VPN.
You can get many VPN tools out there, but not all of them can unblock BBC iPlayer.
We have now seen how to access BBC iPlayer in Canada by using a VPN and connecting to the UK server.
BBC iPlayer has one of the largest libraries in the U.K.; it is no wonder Canadians want to stream the service.
With this article, you are on your way to streaming BBC iPlayer.
We decided to provide easy step by step for you in all of those articles. If you’re interested in learning about streaming on various platforms in Canada, our streaming category is dedicated to providing you with all the information you need. Check it out here.